Thursday, January 10, 2008

I Don't Remember

I don't remember my childhood.  Well, very little of it.  It's not usually a problem.  So what if I can't really participate in conversations about the 80's?  It's not like my memory is totally fine except for everything not in the past.  I must have my calendar on me at all times.  Very much a requirement for day-to-day living.  I'm horrible at names and birthdays.  There are people that I have met multiple times have breakfast with at least once every other week, and I have no idea what their names are.  I don't remember growing up.

Who am I kidding.  I don't really remember.

So why is this bothering me tonight?  

I'm working on this paper, my final incomplete and it's about me growing up, how my development mirrored and can be explained within Erickson's theory of psychosocial development.  I called my parents tonight and had to ask them to tell me about my childhood.  How the heck to you explain that?  Poor dad.  He was so perplexed.  It's a hard thing to explain, although the words to say are very simple.  It goes something like this...

Me:  Hi Dad!  I was wondering if you can help me with a paper.

Dad:  Sure, I'll try.

Me:  I've got three different ages that I am going to ask you about.  Please tell me about me during that time.  What I did, funny stories, anything you can.

Dad:  You want me... to tell you... about you....?

Me:  Yup, thats pretty much it.

No comments: