Sunday, April 15, 2007

Overwhelming week... thank goodness for bananas

Wow, lots of stuff happening. It's kind of overwhelming, but I'm having a ton of fun.

Thursday was a pretty crazy day for me. I had my final written test for lifeguarding. I did well, in fact, I got the highest score of the class and a job offer for next fall lifeguarding in the pool. That will be pretty cool. I think that I would like to do that.

Thursday was also the last day of voting. I went around introducing myself to people and encouraging them to vote. I had to work and watch the last voters come in and cast their votes. The voting ended at two, and ballots are counted right away. I also got off work at two so I needed something to get me out of the union and doing something so that I wouldn't freak out until I recieved the phone call telling me if I won or not. All posters have to be removed within 48 hours of the election so I decided that I would take those down. As I was walking around tearing down posters my phone rang. I didn't recognize the number so I took a deep breath and said hello. It was Tyler, the current President. He said congradulations and the rest is kind of a fog. A funny thing did happen. One of my friends rode by on a bike and stopped and another of my friends was giving a campus tour also went by me and stopped. It was awesome. I told them, they were happy, I'm happy, it's still kind of crazy.

It's kind of overwhelming, knowing what I am in store for next year. On Friday I got to meet three members of the board and I will start attending the meetings next month. I have so much to do. This should be quite the adventure.

Friday I also got some good news about my entreprenuership in commercial rec class. The entire class participated in a competition/simulation where we ran a rafting company for two years. In groups we had to come up with a business plan, present to investors, who gave us a certain amount of RTU's (Resource/Time Units). From there we decided what we were going to invest in, choices included extra insurance, creative advertising, etc. We also had scenarios drawn out of a hat where something good or bad would happen to you and your business would make or lose money. This was a big assignment because the winners get 5% added to their grade. Friday was good in this class because my group won! Hurrah.

Bananas are amazing. Truly amazing. Maybe even better than funyuns. Bananas are great because if you eat one when you know you are going to be sore you will be much, much less sore. Take Saturday for example. Yesterday a group of my friends decided that we were going to go on a bike ride. I just wanted to see how my hand would hold up. (hand injury + pressure from the handlebars = maybe really bad situation) I was just planning on riding out to Hartman's Rocks. Everybody else was planning on going on a few mtn. biking trails. Well, I ended up going on some trails to. It was amazing fun! I'm so glad that I went! I did get my toosh kicked though. I told them, this is my first time ever doing this, don't kick my a$$ too bad, ok? Did they listen? Nooooo, of course not. We were out there for about four hours. When we got back I could hardly walk. It's all good though, I had a great time, ate a banana and today I hardly hurt at all.

No comments: