Monday, December 17, 2007

The Roof, The Roof....


The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire...

Oh wait.  That's just a hot water pipe exploding.  Nevermind.

Did you know that steam can set of a fire alarm?  It's true.  I saw it in action today.

Let me set the stage...
It's 8:45 in the morning.  We are 45 minutes into a two hour final for statistics.  Two tests have to be completed in these two hours.  When the class assembled in the morning it was a nervous anticipation, you could feel it.  We've been through a lot together as a class.  Twice a week study sessions, study sessions together on the weekends.  Getting "talked to" because 75% of the class failed an exam.  We are the survivors.  Today was the culmination of all that work, the chance to make a few extra points, a chance to NOT FAIL.  Because really, that was everyone's goal, you could practically see the little thought bubbles above their heads "please, I just don't want to fail".

I digress.  Sorry.  

So we are sitting in this class, working on this test.  I myself was about to start the second problem that had 10 parts to it, hitting my groove, catching my mistakes, feeling pretty good about how this exam is going.  All of a sudden, loud loud noises.  Not just any noise, no, the distinct noise that only can deafen you and still convey the message that you have to get out of the building.  The fire alarm.

As one the class raises our heads in disbelief.  Is this really happening?  You have to be kidding.  It's quiet for a second, then the curses and murmuring start.  After a few seconds I say "I think this is the part where we calmly exit the building".  We all get up, leave our tests, and head downstairs.

Oh yeah, by the way, IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!.  I think it was just getting up to 0 (zero) degrees F at that point.  So we wait outside, the prof takes off to do something and eventually we go back inside to continue working on these exams.  I'm glad it's over.  The only real "exam" I have this finals week.  Now to get back to all the other projects I have yet to complete...

No comments: