Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Fracture Tramp Stamp -or- I Promise I'm Not Into Pain

Transverse spine fracture in the L2 & L3 vertebrae 

That's what I did today.  Basically it went like this.  It was raining this morning, and a little bit chilly.  Last night S told me to be careful when walking outside because the rain was freezing on the grass.  So when I was walking out of the house this morning I checked the stairs for ice.  'Nope' I thought to myself, 'its just wet from the rain'.  WRONG WRONG WRONG. Of course, I didn't have time to think that to myself as I went flying down and back on to the three concrete stairs.  It was chaos.  My jacket was in one place, my backpack another, my iPod a third, the concrete graciously caught my coffee for me but the yogurt I would be finding all over everything for a large part of the morning.  I had managed to roll myself to my hands and knees without crying too much somehow when fortunately a co-worker came out of the house (without falling) and helped me up.  So I go to the Emergency Room, hang out for a couple of hours (all the cool kids were taking falls today), get looked at, get some great painkillers, get a CT Scan, hang out some more.  When the doctor finally came back he said.  "I don't want to tell you that you broke your back, but you did fracture this".  I think it's a pretty rare injury too, the home care instructions aren't even for my specific injury, just one that's close.  So yeah.  On Friday I get to see an orthopedist.  I'll keep everybody posted, but in the meantime, I have visual aids for everybody.

This is the spine.  As you can see the lumbar region is also known as your lower back.  
My ouch points are specifically the L2 & L3.


(This picture is an above view of a vertebrae.  The spinous process is what you feel if you're feeling up somebody's backbone.)

From what I understand, fracturing your transverse process doesn't really somehow count as 'breaking your back'.  I don't know why, don't ask me.  The transverse process is the shark fin looking thing on either side of the vertebrae.  I broke the left hand side ones.


This little bruise is located right in the middle of my back.  I'm currently referring to it as the fracture tramp stamp.

4 comments:

Matoska said...

Holy crap Alex. I'm glad you can still wiggle your toes.

Anonymous said...

How are you feeling now and what are you doing for treatment I just found out I also broke my left transverse process as well> it hurts like heck!!

JiJi DisGrace said...

so just last week i got smashed with a steel bar stool and afractured my L2 and L3.... very uncomfortable! i was out of state when it happened and no insurance. i dont feel i got sufficient information. now theres a horrible shooting electric pain down to my thigh.... how long ago did u fall down? and have you healed up ok? anything special u might have done to help?

Emily said...

weird...I have the same p.j's and bruise...but i fell outta two story window...onto some driftwood..lol anywho just wanted to let you know you gotta twin!!