Monday, June 25, 2007

My Summer So Far...

Hello hello.

The summer is progressing, the job is continuing, the fun is lasting, the cool things keep happening. It's all good.

I am proud to present you... some pictures of what I have been up to lately...

This is a view from the porch of my cabin on base.





This is the other LC (Logistics Coordinator) I work with, Michelle. When I'm lazy {read: most of the time} I call her Mich (m-ee-sh). She's super cool.



A large part of my job involves packing. I pack food, equipment, and just about every other possible supply you could think of. Caitlin and I spent a good amount of time packing instructor first aid kits at the mothership.



Also for my job, I have to do a lot of driving. We drive bad-ass trucks that can (and do) go just about anywhere. This is a driver training day.



Why do I pack all these things and drive these crazy places? To support these people.



These are the two patrols for my current course. They are on a 30-day expedition. I don't see them very much because they are in the field and I am usually not. I take them new food and equipment every 7-10 days. I did get to go in the field and help with the service project. That was really really cool. Lots of switchbacks getting in and out though. One day I walked down 36 switchbacks then the next day I had to walk back up! The view was worth it.



For the service project we worked to eradicate an invasive species presence at the trail into the wilderness area. The plant was right along the railroad tracks and we had to watch out for the pop-cars. Pop-cars check the tracks for any obstacles before the train comes through, avoiding potential catastrophe.



We also got to break down some fire rings. That was a lot of fun.



I know it's probably looking like I just work all the time. Don't worry, there is plenty of time spent playing around.

So yeah. That's my summer so far!

1 comment:

Taf. said...

That looks like so much fun. I'm pretty much jealous right now. It's been so long since I was out in the wilderness just messing around. Oh, I mean working...

Yeah, right, Alex. :)

Looks like you couldn't have asked for a better way to spend your time working really.

Goon on ya.